# How to Create a New Project
There are several methods of creating a new Mergin Maps project:
- Mergin Maps Input offers the quickest (albeit limited) way of creating a Mergin Maps project.
- If you want to take full advantage of Mergin Maps, use QGIS to prepare new projects.
- You can also use cloudmergin.com, especially if your project files are already fully prepared and only need uploading.
# Create a project in Mergin Maps Input
Capturing Your First Field Data tutorial will show you how to create a new project and capture field data in Mergin Maps Input.
Open Mergin Maps Input on your mobile device
Go to the Home tab of the Projects screen and press Create project:
Give the project a name
Press Create project:
You may need to minimise the on-screen keyboard to access the Create project button.
Your new project should now be visible on the Home tab of the Projects screen:
# Create a project in QGIS
Creating a Project in QGIS tutorial will show you how to create a new project in QGIS, add layers, configure attributes forms and save changes to Mergin Maps.
To work with Mergin Maps projects in QGIS, you will need to install the Mergin Maps plugin for QGIS.
Open a blank or an existing project in QGIS.
Click on Create Mergin Project from the toolbar.
There are three options available (the last two options are available only if you have an existing project open):
New basic QGIS project. If you are new to QGIS, this is a good starting point. The new basic QGIS project will contain a survey layer (a point layer) and a background map (OpenStreetMap).
Package current QGIS project. This option will create a copy of your project and all the files in a single folder. There are three options for handling layers: package, keep as is (the layer will be referenced as is in the new project) or ignore (the layer will not be included in the new project).
By default, the web services (e.g. WMTS, XYZ tiles, vector tile layers) will be referenced as they are, raster layers will be copied as they are, and vector layers will be all written to GeoPackage format (each vector in one GeoPackage database).
Use current QGIS project as is. This is for cases when you have already a stand-alone folder with your project packaged.
Name the project and select a path where your project folder and associated files will be generated. Your project should be saved on a local drive. Using shared network drives and cloud storage (such as OneDrive or Google Drive) is not supported.
The new Mergin Maps project will be created locally on your computer and also on the Mergin server.
# Clone an existing project in QGIS
Using Mergin Maps plugin for QGIS, you can make a copy of one of your existing projects or the ones shared with you.
- Right-click on the project in the Browser panel > Mergin and select Clone.
- Select the Owner from the drop-down menu and type your new Project Name.
# Create a project through cloudmergin.com
Navigate to cloudmergin.com and sign in.
To create a new project, click on Create in the Projects section:
Give the project a name
- in Template project, you can select a template from the list
- Project owner is you (your username) or your organisation
- the project is private by default, you can use the checkbox to make it Public
After creating a new project, you will be directed to the project page.
Add files to your project:
- Click on Drag & drop here to click and select file(s) to upload
- Select files or folders to upload
- Once the files and folders are selected, press Update
# Clone an existing project through cloudmergin.com
You can also make a copy of an existing project or a project that is shared with you:
- Open the project link in your web browser
- From the top right of the panel, select Clone
- In the new window, you can change the project name and select the owner